Last Updated on
It is completely normal to feel low and tired when you are pregnant. More than 50% of pregnant women reported to experience this system. So what really causes lack of energy during pregnancy? Are there ways on how to boost energy when pregnant?
How to Boost Energy When Pregnant?
During the first three months of your pregnancy, significant changes take place in almost every system of your body: your metabolism and hormones change rapidly, and the placenta is developing while blood pressure and blood sugar tends to go down. Apart from that, emotional and mental stress can also add up.
As you get further in your pregnancy, you may experience sleep disruptions and difficult of falling asleep. Fatigue during pregnancy may also be a symptom of anemia, which isn’t uncommon among mothers-to-be.
Iron is very important in the production of hemoglobin, the blood component of red blood cells that allows them to deliver oxygen throughout your body as well as your baby. Your iron requirement increases due to the needs of the baby, the increase in blood volume and the blood loss that will occur during deliver.
All of these changes contribute to a feeling of constant fatigue. However, there are many ways on how to boost energy when pregnant.
- Be active – Do some gentle exercise, even if you don’t feel like doing it. Have a swim or go for a walk. This will help you sleep at night to feel less tired during the day.
- Try to adjust your schedule – You can lessen the hours of your work or if it’s not possible, maybe adjust your work hours. If you have lots of chore to do, ask your family or friends for support.
- Listen to your body – Try going to bed early or taking catnaps. During early pregnancy, you will need plenty of rest and sleep to recuperate from the major body changes. When at work, a 15-minute rest can make a difference. Take a nap during lunchtime in your car, if there’s nowhere to sleep.
- Boost your nutrition – A healthy, balanced diet that consists of whole grains, eggs, lean meat and vegetables can help keep your energy levels up. Aim for higher amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables every day.
Having an empty stomach can make you feel even more tired and queasy. Try to eat in small amounts but often. This will help sustain your energy by keeping your blood sugar level at the peak for hours.
And when you are pregnant, energy drink or coffee may be no-nos. Taking energy boosters in the form of nutritional supplements can also help prevent energy-drain. Now, one major tip when buying prenatal nutritional supplement is to check if it contains magnesium.
Magnesium is a unique mineral necessary for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body, and this include processing of glucose into energy. So when magnesium levels are even slightly low, it can leave you feeling tired and depleted.
Consider these prenatal nutrition supplements. They are complete in terms of vitamins and minerals content, including magnesium.
New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin
The organic herbs and cultured whole-food vitamins & minerals in each formulation work together to promote optimal health and deliver system-specific benefits – not just address nutrient deficiencies. New Chapter’s formulation team takes exacting care with each nutrient in all of our targeted daily Multi-vitamins to benefit the specific needs of the individual.
New Chapter Multivitamins are also Non-GMO Project verified – made with organic vegetables and herbs. Perfect Prenatal whole-food complexed multi-vitamin, including targeted levels of whole-food folate, is formulated specifically to nourish mother and baby.
- Cultured Whole Food – Organic herbs and cultured whole-food complexed vitamins & minerals work together to promote optimal health and condition- specific benefits – not just address nutrient deficiencies
- Good for Mom & Baby – Perfect Prenatal is a probiotic whole-food complexed multivitamin formulated specifically to nourish mother and baby, including targeted levels of whole-food complexed folate.
- Prenatal Herbal Blend – Cultured and safe for pregnancy, this herbal blend combines whole foods and Class 1 herbs with probiotics to support a healthy pregnancy.
- With Hormone and Breast Support – A blend of organic Broccoli, organic Kale, and other organic cruciferous sprouts supports healthy estrogen metabolism.
- Convenient – the once-per-meal formula is easy-to-take, easy-to-digest, and can be taken anytime – even on an empty stomach!
User Reviews (from www.amazon.com)
4.5 out of 5 stars as of March 2015
This product gained numerous positive reviews. Users reported that this supplement helped them reduce nausea and fatigue and prevent them from feeling sleepy and depleted. It also gives users an energy boost. It didn’t cause them any stomach discomfort or any digestive issues aside from the minor constipation, which can easily be relieved by eating fiber-rich foods and drinking lots of water. It is an all-natural product with good ingredient profile.
- Easy on the stomach
- All-natural, food-based
- Contains good ingredient profile
- May cause slight constipation
Puritan’s Pride Pre-Natal Complex
Pre-Natal Complex is a multivitamin and mineral supplement formulated especially for pregnant and lactating women. This unique formulation provides 100% of the Daily Value of many vitamins and minerals for pregnant and lactating women. It is important to ensure an adequate intake of vitamin C in the diet due to it’s role in enhancing the absorption of iron. If you require additional quantities of iron, please consult your doctor.
- Packed with Iron – iron is a vital component of hemoglobin that plays a key role in energy metabolism
- Rich in Folate – Folic Acid, an important vitamin for women. Healthful diets with adequate folate may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord birth defect.
- Easy to swallow, easy on the stomach
User Reviews (from www.amazon.com)
5 out of 5 stars March 2015
Puritan’s Pride Pre-Natal Complex got high scores from users. Users reported that the product high calcium and iron content helped them support their overall health, particularly their immune system. It also boosts their energy as it is loaded with iron and magnesium. The size of the pill is easy to swallow and is reasonably priced.
- High in calcium and iron
- Contains natural ingredients such as cranberry and ginger
- Easy to swallow
- Good ingredient profile
When you are pregnant, your body simply needs extra nutrient to feel energized and prevent being depleted. These supplements are by no means a perfect solution to your problem, however, these supplements can cover any nutritional gaps in your diet. Even the healthiest diet still need a nutrient boost.
As with any herbal or dietary supplement, it is highly advised to see your healthcare practitioner before taking the product.